Shawn Lane – Guitar solo (Musicians Institute, Hollywood – 5th Feb 1993)

by HART (1-800-HART) on October 30, 2011 · 25 comments

in YouTube Videos

I just found this on YouTube … and thought you might enjoy it!

========================
Note: information from YouTube
========================

youtube.com/watch?v=3NbANthdcGc%3Fversion%3D3%26f%3Dvideos%26app%3Dyoutube_gdata
Here Shawn Lane plays a Live Guitar Solo, with the amazing Sean Rickman on drums, at Musicians Institute, Hollywood, CA, on the 5th Feb 93. You can mingle and post with other fans of Shawn at : lanesblitz.com You can read back through litterally hundreds of cool and very informative posts at the Shawn Lane Yahoo group (dating back to 1999) here : launch.groups.yahoo.com (you have to join up) You can still read lots of interesting posts at the old Shawn Lane message board here : www.voy.com and www.voy.com Thanks to Mick for supporting Shawn over the years, as well as taping (and organising the taping of) many of Shawn’s shows! .

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)

Kingding6 October 21, 2010 at 5:37 pm

@patubo Bro you obv don’t have a clue about his body of work if you say he’s “missing the point”.

Kingding6 October 21, 2010 at 5:39 pm

@pastuiedada Guitarists who approach or are on Shawn’s leval are Holdsworth, Govan, De Lucia, Lagrene, Django. I’m prob missing a few, but Shawn will always be the greatest for me.

metalliholic October 21, 2010 at 10:48 pm

wtf is this shit?

metalliholic October 21, 2010 at 10:50 pm

@metalliholic and no im not bashing i meant that in a “0_0 wtf did i just witness!!!” type of thing.

guitarralaraja November 14, 2010 at 1:21 am

@patubo nope at all.. did you read the title? its just a solo..man this is not a song =s

have you heard his compositions?

plz man read before you comment.”””

00Dakka December 27, 2010 at 9:40 pm

@0ptriX
I also think it’s very inspired by what coltrane used to do. Look up Sheets of sound if you’re interested

Glutonid December 28, 2010 at 5:50 am

Now I wanna see classical violinists fucking do this. I hate when guitarists like Shawn, Jason Becker etc. aren’t respected.

pastuiedada January 4, 2011 at 6:52 pm

@y00ked silly question the question doesn’t even involve Petrucci, maybe Gilbert or this guy, or Les Paul or this guy, even Govan or this guy. Petrucci is good, but not that good.

HorridFroth January 20, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Mind bending, but let’s face it…not very good music…

yeahlasley January 23, 2011 at 2:39 am

Nothing i say can describe how ama- awes- inspir- epi- beaut-…. i just have nothing.

Zaspor January 23, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I love how the crowd erupted in applause after the end of this song, I would have been that guy going “YEAH!!!” if I were there :/

Nevigo January 24, 2011 at 2:17 am

Shawn was too sick,I miss his playing.

sjdss February 6, 2011 at 1:18 pm

MEMPHIS! is where rock started and the best guitarist ever shawn lane is from!

MrArsenioOro February 12, 2011 at 10:43 pm

i dont care about who this guy is or if any1 doesnt like my comment. I dont like him or his music. I dont see myself going into my car to turn on this garbage. this sound makes me want to murder a cat and skin it alive. its horrible

MegaYoshitsune May 5, 2011 at 6:10 am

@MegaYoshitsune Any newcomers to Shawn should listen to him play Once Upon a Time in the West, Death Theme, Epilouge for Lisa, Rules of the Game, Get You Back, Personae, or just pretty much anything from any of his albums. And so what if he’s showing off? In all the versions of this Iv’e seen the auidence always seem to cheer like crazy. Iv’e never seen or heard anyone play anything like this, and this isn’t supposed to be nice and accesiable, it’s supposed to sound ”outside.”

pepsicolaman1 June 15, 2011 at 11:26 am

boring

pepsicolaman1 June 15, 2011 at 11:26 am

boring

TheNeverendingfire June 18, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Nobody place like this guy! out of this world!

valkour22 July 8, 2011 at 6:54 am

Words cannot to begin to explain this. This performance is beyond all that. Just 1 little phrase of this is more intelligent then all the words a person could come up with in a life time. All the guitarist that ever have lived cannot begin to dream of having a vocabulary to play like this. Holdsworth is the only one that could I think that could at least make an attempt at least. All others would just cry.

Pendrakulya July 15, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I admire his playing, but I can’t stand his music.

D61664 July 18, 2011 at 8:33 am

i havent heard anyone play with such accuracy although to me it doesnt sound much melodic but this guy is Great !

aliensporebomb July 26, 2011 at 9:29 pm

@dittoddr Charvel 750XL set-neck model with arch top.

aliensporebomb July 26, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I just had a picture in my mind of someone who had never heard of Shawn before and was maybe just a student at MI went to see the concert late and walked in on that. Can you imagine?

7stringdragon July 30, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Shawn reminds me a lot of coltrane, they were both monsters in their own right on the quest for absolute spirituality. The point of these guitar solos wasnt to show off or shred. It was more to achieve a higher musical intensity, listen to “My Favourite things live at the Olatunji Concert” That was probably where shawn was aiming.

Scoffman5150 September 17, 2011 at 12:59 am

I’m speechless!! This guy is a guitar Virtuoso, with a capital V!