Phil Keaggy AMAZING guitar solo!

by HART (1-800-HART) on September 25, 2010 · 27 comments

in YouTube Videos

I just found this on YouTube … and thought you might enjoy it!

========================
Note: information from YouTube
========================

youtube.com/watch?v=0T3to3DHLIE%3Ff%3Dvideos%26app%3Dyoutube_gdata
Performance at the ERACE Showcase at GMA Music Week in Nashville — 4/20/09.

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)

1 Tweet

t0ej0b July 19, 2010 at 10:17 am

Look into his biography a little more, the Hendrix quote is possible to some degree. Improbable that he would know him as a garage band performer but album release doesn’t mean much.

samuelshepard July 19, 2010 at 6:10 pm

@danielwalls only guitarists will criticize. how many guitarists does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 15. 1 to screw in the lightbulb, the other 14 to stand around with their arms folded saying “i could do that”.

pazzensutra July 21, 2010 at 12:32 am

@t0ej0b I read a Keaggy interview where he says that there’s not any evidence that Hendrix said that he (Keaggy) was the greatest, so he himself doesn’t believe it happened. I don’t believe it either. I think some guy who adored Keaggy started it. Christians start rumors too. (And yeah, I’m a Christian.)

danielwalls July 21, 2010 at 10:32 am

@samuelshepard Nice, gonna use that one.
I’m a guitarist too (not particularly good) so I can appreciate good playing when I see it.

Sheba703 July 25, 2010 at 3:51 pm

most of todays stuff is just noise! keaggy has always had it together, even from the Glass Harp days!

Harry00Long July 27, 2010 at 4:43 pm

This is weak try listening to megadeth solos

planebored July 30, 2010 at 5:02 pm

You know the hard truth is, those who can, ROCK! The rest become critics! I love Phil!

azwepa62 August 2, 2010 at 8:53 am

Love this. My two cents on the greatest guitarist rumor. I had heard the rumor that Hendrix was asked what is was like to be the greatest guitarist in the world, and he said “ask Phil Keaggy”. Since hearing that rumor, I’ve seen an interview where he was ask that question and answered something along the lines of “I don’t know about the world, maybe the greatest guitarist sitting in this chair”. But I believe Phil is among the greatest, most accomplished guitarists in the world. Thanks for shar

1twistedtree August 3, 2010 at 4:06 pm

i like a lot, you youngsters out there want to learn how to play the git box, here is your teacher. Plain and simply one of THE BEST that ever was,is,and will ever be. Just ask around you’ll find that even though he is not popular in the POP scheme almost all of the POP artist emulate Mr. Keaggy if they are able. The man can flat get it………

michaelpcobb1 August 3, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I saw Phil at Spririt West Coast in Del Mar CA. about 5 years ago and I was in a tent like structure and there were mayb 5 full rows of people there. He and 2 bandmates started playing and by the time he had been playing a while, I looked back and it was standing room only. They all heard it and packed the place fast.

KnitsAndKnitability August 11, 2010 at 6:28 pm

When people ask what it takes to make a top rated comment You tell them Flat Out Honesty…”Flat Out Honesty”=Phil Keaggy Is The Greatest Guitarist That Ever Lived!!!!

sdenny August 15, 2010 at 3:42 pm

superb playing from the master , currently gigging with nashvilles queen of the blues , miranda louise , what a combination , kindest regards from scotland

marth193 August 29, 2010 at 10:33 am

the greatest. always will be.

Rotation364 August 30, 2010 at 5:19 pm

M400fan September 4, 2010 at 8:45 am

@azwepa62 When Phil was asked if he agreed with the assessment, he said with typical self-effacing good humour “Well, I’m certainly the SHORTEST guitarist in the world!” LOL!

M400fan September 4, 2010 at 8:47 am

@t0ej0b Glass Harp fronted for some of the big names in ’69/’70, so it’s entirely possible that Jimi knew him from those gigs.

M400fan September 4, 2010 at 8:48 am

At 1:40, he plays a bit from the extended solo on the live version of Rejoice from How the West Was One – was HOPING he would go into the volume swell “trumpet fanfare”! One day I’ll see it! Anyone know if there’s any footage of it out there?

g_w May 12, 2011 at 8:21 pm

He does some volume swells which are VERY similar on the “Glass Harp Live” DVD (apparently recorded for public televsion back in ’72).
It used to be on YouTube but got taken down — but the DVD is on sale at Amazon as of about 30 seconds ago…

djbro16 September 7, 2010 at 3:44 pm

@edshift It’s because in the American culture, it’s a popular thing to demean a Christian as a human being.

acts2verse2 September 8, 2010 at 9:40 am

There are the blessed then there the blessed who hone their craft….

chiefhalfoat September 9, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Favorite part is at 0:42

machintorolo September 10, 2010 at 10:19 pm

phil keaggy el mejor es lo maximo, the best, the best guitar player ever.

edshift September 11, 2010 at 3:35 pm

@djbro16 Not sure I agree with that.
Seems to me America is the country with the most Christian aligned culture.
You had 2 terms of fairly faith driven president who acted throughout in a manner consistent with his beliefs.
Now as is happens I’m not a Christian.
Each to their own and there is a lot in the Christian moral code I agree with however I disagree with the path your country took under Bush.
That said I never meant my comment as a troll.

Phil Keagy is one of my favourite guitartists.

edshift September 11, 2010 at 3:47 pm

@djbro16 No offence intended mate.
I promise.
In my eyes you are, I suspect, living your life in the way you know to be right.
The biggest problem in this world right now is people with no belief system or worse still people willing to compromise their beliefs for short term advantage.
‘Nuff said.
Live a full and wholesome life.
Thx for your thought provoking comment.

kaneeye September 17, 2010 at 4:08 am

يا إبن المجنونة

wrote that in Arabic just to show people how Arab people loves that guy !

يا إبن المجنونة means WTF 😀

wileypayote September 20, 2010 at 8:02 pm

@djbro16 It’s popular everywhere. Jesus himself warned that Christians would experience persecution and temptation for their beliefs.